Located at the highest point on the building, any loose material that topples from the chimney is dangerous. A damaged stack can also lead to damp issues.
What to look for:
- Is the chimney straight?
- Are any of the chimney pots missing, leaning or cracked?
- Are there any open joints in the stonework or brickwork?
- Can you see any cracks at the top of the chimney?
What to do:
- Ensure chimney pots are well seated and secure.
- Replace broken pots. It is usually possible to match the original design.
- Repoint or re-bed bricks with a lime based mortar
- If the stack is disused it can be capped off, but make sure the flue is ventilated in some way