By Tony Chesters, research volunteer
A tall 2 storey stuccoed elevation to the street with Italianate decorative details. Originally probably included residential accommodation. The 4 bay front has a moulded capped plinth, moulded first floor sill course, stepped frieze and dentils to prominent eaves cornice. Doorways to outer bays with windows to centre on ground floor. The fact that there are two entrances, left and right, lends itself to shared occupation as was probably the case initially and later divided into separate front and rear premises.
S Blanckensee & Sons was founded in Bristol in 1826. In September 1863 it moved to Great Charles Street, Birmingham where its first mark was entered. It was SB&S for the partnership of Solomon and Abraham Solomon. They became the owners and tenants of Sovereign Hall from the early 1880’s. When incorporated in 1887 Soloman’s son, Aaron, became the Managing Director. The company expanded and combined with other family businesses and by 1936 were not only in 14 and 15 but also 16 and 49 Frederick Street and 19-35 Regent Place, they continued here until 1945.
The father of Soloman Blanckensee, Lewin Moses, brought his family to the UK from Prussia (modern day Poland). Soloman had three brothers Isaac, Moses and Myer. Soloman was Initially a Pawn broker but moved to the USA. Moses went into Jewellery factoring and Myer had a clock and watch business. When they died they were all very well off from their work in Birmingham. At 2018 prices, Soloman left c£2m, Myer c£7m and Moses c£6m. Soloman’s sons, Aaron and Abraham taking over the gold chain, silver and jewellery business.
The next major tenant was R E V Gomm, Badge Manufacturers. They were established in 1908 and moved into 14-15 in 1963 until 1978 when they moved to no. 16 Frederick Street. They specialised in the production of enamel badges. The initials R.E.V. in R.E.V. Gomm stand for Richard Edward Victor.
Isaac Davies occupied warehouse at No. 14
Alfred Hopcraft was a brewer at No. 15
Occpied by S Blanckensee & Son, Gold Chain Manufacturer
The partnership was incorporated as a limited company, Aaron Blanckensee as MD
1945 – 1960's
Occupants included Victor W Allen in rear workshop and first floor front, Abbey Casting in rear firts floor workshop, G H Roberts in rear third floor and A Wardle & Co in rear first floor warehouse
1963 - 1978
Occupied by R E V Gomm Badge Manufacturers (who then moved next door to 16 Frederick Street).
Occupied by J Robbins Ltd, jeweller
1991 - 2000
Occupied by G & H Beckwith Ltd - Metal Polishers, Finishers and associated works
Occupied by Ibex Holdings Ltd, Customer Engagement Software & Apps
2017 - 18
Occupied by Dearn & Williams, Jewellery Manufacture. & Repair (now in Vyse Street)
Building refurbished and marketed for £1.2m freehold
2019 - present
Occupied by The Senator Group, a global furniture manufacturer.