Research by Maudie, research volunteer
The land where 48 Frederick St was eventually built was originally part of a garden of a large detached house. For a lot of the later 19th century and first half of the 20th century, the building was occupied by various jewellers, watchmakers and printers before most recently being turned into Ana Rocha, a gallery-come-bar-come-restaurant where customers can peruse fine antiques whilst enjoying cocktails, tapas and often live music.
One particularly prominent business that occupied the building was Blanckensee Joel & Co watch manufacturers who were there for at least 23 years. They also imported watches from Switzerland. Their father, Solomon Blanckensee, originally from Poland, was a famous jewellery dealer who moved his business to Birmingham from Bristol in 1826. Joel and Julius, who were partners in Joel Blanckensee & Co along with Frank Moss, were two of Solomon’s 14 children. The family lived on Great Charles Street in Birmingham. Frank Moss lodged in Edgbaston whilst working with Joel and Julius and was originally from Middlesex.
Both Abrahall and Bint (Arthur Abrahall and William Bint) and Charles Horner, who occupied 48 Frederick St along with Joel Blanckensee & Co for a short period of time, sold art nouveau jewellery and much of it is still available to purchase at auction or online today.
Occupied by Joseph Judah G & Co Merchants
Occupied by Blanckensee Joel & Co watch manufacturers
Occupied by Blanckensee, Whitehead & Cambridge Ltd (printers) and Charles Horner (jeweller)
Occupied by Harvey G W & Co, wholesale jewellers
occupied by Johnson E & Co, Taylor and Eadie and Metal Processes Ltd (metal colourers)
Occupied by Johnson E & Co, Metal Processes Ltd and Jacobi M W & Son manufacturing jewellers
Occupied by Reliable Stamping Ltd (badge makers)
Ana Rocha Bar and Gallery