23-26 Warstone Lane
Built in 1870, the Grade II listed building was re-fronted and extended in 1905. Very little information exists about what kind of building was on the site before. However, the occupants listed from 1850-70 reflect the trend throughout the Jewellery Quarter of domestic residents employed in many trades, often working in their homes.
At first the properties were occupied separately and then Nos 23-24 became one, and Nos 25-26 another. The whole four properties were auctioned in 1876 as one lot and the advert gives an insight into the buildings:
“Lot 3 Warstone Lane – a remarkably well situated and improving Freehold property, comprising the four substantial three-storey houses. Nos 23, 24, 25, and 26 in Warstone Lane at the corner of Regent Row; and eight pleasantly situated houses in the rear with outbuildings and large yard, with frontage to Regent Row, and available as building land, the whole let, and producing at old fashioned and inadequate rents at £109 14s 10d”
Several families lived on the site before and after the current purpose-built factory was constructed, perhaps living in houses at the back as this advert suggests.
The building was in a very poor state of repair with a significant amount of vacant floorspace. Acquired by local manufacturing firm JewelCast, they are undertaking a restoration and refurbishment project of the building to provide space not only for their business but also a number of small jewellery manufacturers as well as retaining the existing retail offer. Works to the exterior of the building are being carried out and include repairs to the windows, brickwork and roof. Internally, extensive repairs are being undertaken to make the space fit for purpose. Works are due to complete at the end of autumn 2022.