51-53 Vittoria Street
Originally a pair of three-storey townhouses dating from around 1830, they were converted to industrial use by 1875. The evolution of the buildings can be clearly seen in both the details that have remained and those that have been altered. The house fronting onto Regent Place retains many original residential details including the semi-circular headed doorway, panelled door, and sash windows. On the Vittoria Street elevation, all but one of the sash windows were widened to form workshop windows in the early 20th century.
The grant aided works will use traditional techniques and materials to repair the exterior of these buildings. In addition to restoring the original architectural details such as the door surrounds and windows to the Regent Place elevation, the works will also undertake works that will ensure the building is sound, wind and watertight through the provision of new rainwater goods and repairs to the roof.
22-24 Vittoria Street
22-24 Vittoria Street also dates from the 1830s but this property was originally part of a group of six back to back houses called Hill’s Buildings. Although not listed, it is a rare example of the type of housing that was once common in Birmingham.
The grant works will aim to reverse some of the unsympathetic alterations that have taken place. A key alteration will be the reinstatement of a sash window at the ground floor which will revert the front elevation back to the original domestic design.